Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Back to the Future

It has been over a year since my experiment to delete my Facebook account. The first few months were difficult—I suffered online withdrawal—which proved to me how seriously addicted I was. After a while I began to sense an incredible liberation from the yolk of connectivity.  That summer was wonderful and free. When school started back up, I realized the necessity Facebook as a way to make information available to students and communicate within our Graphic Design Club. I have no friends (don't be offended), but do use the site to post internships, articles and follow several professional organizations. With accounts on LinkedIn and Twitter, networking is possible without drama and with minimal wasted time. Pinterest is a nice place to spend time for inspiration and when I am feeling self indulgent.

For a while I seriously contemplated making “At The Art of It” a full-fledged activity, but several things kept me from stepping it up. I realize the time required to making regular posts isn’t something I want to commit to. But more acutely is that every blogger becomes subject to commenters who thrive on tearing down the author, usually anonymously. My ego is too fragile for that!

This week I am finally working on a re-designed of BeekmanStudios.com. My previous website was sorely outdated, with many broken links and use of old “tables” coding.  I am set on learning Adobe Muse and using it to build the site which will serve primarily as an online portfolio. A launch date of July 15th is set!

There are other creative endeavors underway, so while I do plan to return to my blogging, it will be simply a way for family, friends and associates to check out my artwork and projects. No ads, no proselytizing, just sharing some of my prouder creations.

“Thanks for listening and stay tuned for more news and entertainment.”

3 comments:

  1. Any idea what platform you were going to be making your website in or were you just going to hardcode it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to try Muse - will let you know how it goes.

      Delete
    2. I like it a lot! and don't worry about heaven... it will be awesome... we live in a foreshadow of things to come.... like Plato's cave we see but a shadow... 'Now we see through a glass darkly, but then we shall see face to face!'...(God , that is). The Apostle Paul
      PS I try to do all my punctuation and spelling etc. right...(no text talk shorthand) 'cause you were my teacher! hahaha... Kris

      Delete