Monday, July 1, 2013

Sketchbook Challenge

This is my sketchbook.  The book was schwag from Mohawk Papers at an AIGA conference. The cover has been covered with clear adhesive and pages are falling out, as evidence to its heavy use.

A little over a week ago I began a 30-Day Drawing Challenge, which I found on Pinterest.  I apologize to the owner-creator that cannot find the original source of this sketch-note. These sketches all took less than 20 minutes and are not intended to be finished illustrations, but rather creative exercises. In most cases there was a great deal of reinterpretation of the original concept.

Day 1: A Self-Portrait

I’ve done a lot of self-portraits…so many that last April I gave a talk at The University of Findlay about Artist’s Self Portraits (let me know if you want a link to the research). This one, drawn from memory-not a mirror, isn’t one of my best. Something about it looks a little toon-ified, but I tried to be honest in showing the bags under my eyes.

The one I drew specifically for the challenge isn’t very interesting. I like this one better.


Day 2: Favorite Animal

Yes, I’m a little obsessed with vizslas. You can follow my Red Dog board on Pinterest.  I don’t typically draw animals and, since Trixie rarely stops moving, this really was a challenge.


Day 3: Favorite Food

I like pie.

Day 4: Favorite Place

This isn’t a real place, but my favorite place none-the-less.  I’ve been having a lot of doubts in my faith lately, mostly centered on the nature of heaven. I’m seriously afraid that if heaven does exist, I’ll be spending eternity floating on a cloud. This is what I am hoping heaven is like.


Day 5: Best Friend

Wallace Hooper is the funniest guy I know. Funny Ha-Ha, and Funny Peculiar.

Day 6: Favorite Book

The Man Who Didn’t Wash His Dishes.
I loved this story as a child, and the lesson was ingrained into me. Wallace was washing the dishes as I sat down with my sketchbook.

My favorite book is actually To Kill a Mockingbird, but the imagery from book covers to the movie is so iconic, it left no room for interpretation.


Day 7: Favorite Movie

I'd unravel any riddle

For any individ'le

In trouble or in pain

...
I would not be just a nuffin'

My head all full of stuffin'

My heart all full of pain

I would dance and be merry

Life would be a ding-a-derry

If I only had a brain


1 comment:

  1. These are beautiful Anne! Thank you for sharing them with me! LOVE the portraits of you and the dog and oh heck, love them all!

    ReplyDelete